Sunday 3 February 2013

Pictures from a tuktuk ride

The other day me and the boys grabbed a tuktuk after playing in a park next to Ulsoor Lake. I described where I wanted to go using a landmark and the names of the streets. The driver indicated he knew what I meant so we hopped in and away we went. We went down a whole lot of streets I didn't recognize but that was nothing new because every driver seems to take a different way to get around the city. I did know that we were heading in the right direction generally so I didn't question him. After about 20 minutes, when I thought I should be able to recognize something, I reiterated where I wanted to go to the driver and again he said "yes, yes". This was not  very reassuring because when other people here have said "yes, yes" it usually means "don't worry, we will figure it out in time". After another 10 minutes he brings me to a temple which has the same name as one of the road names I had given him. When I try to explain where I want to go again, I got the same "yes, yes". He brings me a couple of blocks down the road and stops. It is not where I wanted to go. The driver finally concedes he doesn't know where he is going. He brings me to another tuktuk driver and after another 25 minutes of driving we get to our destination. The whole thing was much longer than I wanted but I used the time to snap some pictures and William used the time to have a nap :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a nice tour of the city! Was your "yes, yes" accompanied by a confidently ambivalent yes/no head wobble?? Haha love it Nancy! Savour your adventures! We love hearing about them. Hi to the boys!
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete